- DE 2324 C-PUBS-E-1
Part of EMBL Institutional Publications
- News about services, staff, science and society: an introduction as to why EMBL &cetera was created.
- EMBL's PhD officially recognised by Baden-Württemburg: the PhD degree granted by EMBL is now accepted like other international PhDs.
- 25th Anniversary EMBL Alumni Meeting: an advertisement for the alumni meeting taking place on October 21-23, 1999 in Heidelberg, DE.
- EMBL Council descends on Rome: the EMBL Council meeting took place in the new Research Programme in Mouse Biology in Monterotondo; the Scientific Programme was approved and the Council voted to approve the financial recommendations; announcement of the Host Site Agreement signed with the Italian government; list of presentations from Walter Witke, Ulrich Kalinke, José de la Pompa, Klaus Rajewsky and Glauco Tocchini-Valentini.
- Photographs: Italy’s President Oscar Luigi Scalfaro (at right) attended ceremonies inaugurating the new campus and the Adriano Buzzati-Traverso campus in Monterotondo, Italy.
- Monterotondo campus opens its doors: Opening of the new EMBL Research Programme in Mouse Biology on 8 March 1999 at the "Adriano Buzzati-Traverso" International Scientific Campus, in Monterotondo, Italy. List of goals, representatives and other campus hosts.
- Photographs: Klaus Rajewsky and Fotis Kafatos at the inaugural reception, and Glauco Tocchini-Valentini.
Pages 4 and 5:
- New faces at the Szilárd Library: Description of improvements for the Szilárd Library. New librarians: David Westley and Regina Herhoff.
- Quote from Mary Holmes referring to the beginning of Szilárd Library.
- Biography of Leó Szilárd.
- Photographs: Librarians Regina Herhoff and David Westley.
- EMBL kids get a new stomping ground.
- Photographs: various views of the new Kinderkrippe and Kindergarten building.
- Science & Society: Announcement of the next Seminar. Speaker: Professor Jürgen Mittelstrass. Title: The Impact of the New Biology on Ethics. Date 19 September 1999.
- ILO decides on salary adjustment for 1995: Claim to EMBL Council to remake the salary adjustment.
- Obituaries: Alexandra Freiburg (1971-09-10/1999-07-14) and Paolo Fasella (1930-12-16/1999-06-11).
- People @ EMBL – New people at EMBL (Jan Ellenberg, Elena Conti, Bettina Böttcher and José Luis de la Pompa)
- In Other News: News about Peer Bork and Iain Mattaj
- Medlines of the Month: contest
[Index kindly prepared by EMBL alumna Patricia Resa-Infante.]