- EMBL Council passes resolutions on important ILO, EBI issues (see Page 2)
- Alumni feature... where's Patricia Kahn?: (see Page 4)
- From the sister sciences... Uncertainty & optics (see Page 6)
- Research Reports on CD-ROM: Annual EMBL Research Reports will be distributed in CD-ROM instead of a book
- Photographs: Patricia Kahn and EMBL CD-ROM
Pages 2 and 3:
- EMBL Council responds to ILO ruling, addresses staff and EU financial issues: Latest ILO News, The ILO case, From the Staff Association: What is happening with the ILO case, cuts in EU funds for EBI, Staff regulations, and an appeal for support for the EBI
Pages 4 and 5:
- Alumni feature. A talk with Patricia Kahn: By that time, she was Associate Editor of the "IAVI Report", a publication of the International AIDS Vaccine Initiative. Before that, she worked at EMBL as a staff scientist, joined the EMBL Data Library and played a major role in establishing SWISS-PROT within EMBL. Later she worked as a European correspondent to SCIENCE magazine. Interview by Russ Hodge.
- Photographs: Patricia Kahn
- From the sister sciences... Heisenberg's microscope: Scientist at EMBL Heidelberg (Ernst Stelzer and Stefan Grill) have made improvements in resolution of confocal light microscopy by linking Ernst Abbe work with uncertainty principle of Heisenberg.
- Pictures (provided "AlP Emilio Segre Visual Archives"): Werner Heisenberg and Ernst Abbe
- The EMBO corner.: The growth of EMBO has had negative impact on parking facilities. List of EMBO new activities. Role of EMBO in publishing.
- Science& society: EMBL has organized a panel discussion for February 10th, 2000 to talk about peer review. Written by Halldór Stefánsson.
- Administrative announcement: EMBL has a new employee physician. They will work closely with EMBL's Safety Officer and Management.
- EMBL gears up to handle heavier conference and course schedule: New events and initiatives are growing at EMBL. Everything is detailed in the Conference and Course website.
- EMBL Kinderhaus: photographs of the Kinderhaus inauguration.
- Alumni @ EMBL: During 1999 Alumni Meeting, participants decided to found a formal EMBL Alumni Association.
- Photographs: Klaus Ungelbach and Jean Gruenberg, the Rice family, Matthias Lübben and Dietrich Suck, and Directors General: present and past
- People @ EMBL: New people at EMBL and new Group leaders
Awards, Honors & Etcetera: Frank Gannon was awarded an Honorary Doctorate from the University of Szeged in Hungary, Matthias Hentze was awarded a Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Prize for 2000, Matthias Wilm won a "BioFuture" prize from the German Research Ministry, Peter Gruss was awarded the German President's "Zukunftspreis" for 1999 and Mare Kriis reitres from EMBO after 25 years.
- False Positives: winners of Medline competition.
[Index kindly prepared by EMBL alumna Patricia Resa-Infante.]