DE 2324 C-PUBS-E-2
EMBL &cetera (October 1999)
- 1999 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
10 printed pages
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
- A new look and feel for EMBL’s official WWW pages (see Page 2)
- It was a (very short) dark and stormy night... (see Page 8)
- A talk with Harold Varmus (see Page 4)
- Alumni meeting update: new advertisement for the alumni meeting taking place on October 21-23, 1999 in Heidelberg.
- Photographs: Image of the solar eclipse and picture of Harold Varmus
- A much-needed overhaul of EMBL’s website: Feedback from inside EMBL is requested to launch afterwards the official website for external users.
- Image: Aspect of new EMBL website
- FAQs fearfully anticipated questions: questions that may arise regarding the new developed EMBL website.
- EBI Hinxton – the BioInformer: Publicity about this website that keeps up-to-date on what is happening in EBI outstation.
- Image: BioInformer home page.
Pages 4 and 5:
- A talk with Harold Varmus: Interview by Russ Hodge of Varmus which was was the Director of the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH).
- Photographs of Harold Varmus
- Hamburg Outstation. Future structural biology with a Free Electron Laser: Announcement of a new linear collider called TESLA with a projected centre-of-mass energy of 500 GeV. It would complement DESY’s particle storage ring facilities. X-FEL facility is also planned. Written by Matthias Wilmanns (EMBL Hamburg Outstation).
- Kids @ EMBL: A second-grade class of the Gaiberg elementary school visits EMBL Heidelberg.
- Photographs: Kids at EMBL and artwork by the kids (also on Page 7.)
- The EMBO corner: EMBO offers short-term and long-term fellowships. The article is an explanation of the application and evaluation processes. Written by Frank Gannon, Executive Director of EMBO.
- From the sister sciences... – When small things pass in front of the sun: Article about the 1760 transit of Venus.
- cooey! anyone out there?: EMBL was contributing to a USA initiative to search for signs of extraterrestrial intelligence. Written by Freddy Frischknecht & Sarah Sherwood.
- Photograph: Image of the solar eclipse
- Science & society: EMBL has organized a panel discussion for Monday 4 October to talk about the expansion of the application of intellectual property rights (IPR) and their protection in patents.
- Administrative announcement – unresolved legal dispute to oblige the registration of all EMBL personnel in the German Central Government
- People @ EMBL – New people at EMBL and new Group leaders
- Announcements: Safety Office now on the intranet, late or weekend work and the new library newsletter called “Simply Szilard”
- Blunt ends & fill-ins: EBI has decided to launch a new database in which protein structures will be represented by various shapes and sizes of noodles.
- Space links: links related to articles in Page 8.
- False Positives: Winners of Medline competition.
- ...but are you ready for Y10K?: Dates in the SWISS-PROT, PROSITE and SWISS-2DPAGE databases are stored as ASCII text strings using four digits and there should be no problem until December 31, 9999.
[Index kindly prepared by EMBL alumna Patricia Resa-Infante.]
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Digital object metadata
August 10, 2017 5:33 AM