DE 2324 C-PUBS-E-3
EMBL &cetera (February 2000)
- 2000 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
10 printed pages
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
- EMBL Council passes resolutions on important ILO, EBI issues (see Page 2)
- Alumni feature... where's Patricia Kahn?: (see Page 4)
- From the sister sciences... Uncertainty & optics (see Page 6)
- Research Reports on CD-ROM: Annual EMBL Research Reports will be distributed in CD-ROM instead of a book
- Photographs: Patricia Kahn and EMBL CD-ROM
Pages 2 and 3:
- EMBL Council responds to ILO ruling, addresses staff and EU financial issues: Latest ILO News, The ILO case, From the Staff Association: What is happening with the ILO case, cuts in EU funds for EBI, Staff regulations, and an appeal for support for the EBI
Pages 4 and 5:
- Alumni feature. A talk with Patricia Kahn: By that time, she was Associate Editor of the "IAVI Report", a publication of the International AIDS Vaccine Initiative. Before that, she worked at EMBL as a staff scientist, joined the EMBL Data Library and played a major role in establishing SWISS-PROT within EMBL. Later she worked as a European correspondent to SCIENCE magazine. Interview by Russ Hodge.
- Photographs: Patricia Kahn
- From the sister sciences... Heisenberg's microscope: Scientist at EMBL Heidelberg (Ernst Stelzer and Stefan Grill) have made improvements in resolution of confocal light microscopy by linking Ernst Abbe work with uncertainty principle of Heisenberg.
- Pictures (provided "AlP Emilio Segre Visual Archives"): Werner Heisenberg and Ernst Abbe
- The EMBO corner.: The growth of EMBO has had negative impact on parking facilities. List of EMBO new activities. Role of EMBO in publishing.
- Science& society: EMBL has organized a panel discussion for February 10th, 2000 to talk about peer review. Written by Halldór Stefánsson.
- Administrative announcement: EMBL has a new employee physician. They will work closely with EMBL's Safety Officer and Management.
- EMBL gears up to handle heavier conference and course schedule: New events and initiatives are growing at EMBL. Everything is detailed in the Conference and Course website.
- EMBL Kinderhaus: photographs of the Kinderhaus inauguration.
- Alumni @ EMBL: During 1999 Alumni Meeting, participants decided to found a formal EMBL Alumni Association.
- Photographs: Klaus Ungelbach and Jean Gruenberg, the Rice family, Matthias Lübben and Dietrich Suck, and Directors General: present and past
- People @ EMBL: New people at EMBL and new Group leaders
Awards, Honors & Etcetera: Frank Gannon was awarded an Honorary Doctorate from the University of Szeged in Hungary, Matthias Hentze was awarded a Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Prize for 2000, Matthias Wilm won a "BioFuture" prize from the German Research Ministry, Peter Gruss was awarded the German President's "Zukunftspreis" for 1999 and Mare Kriis reitres from EMBO after 25 years.
- False Positives: winners of Medline competition.
[Index kindly prepared by EMBL alumna Patricia Resa-Infante.]
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Digital object metadata
August 10, 2017 5:55 AM